Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation
Main Navigation


Ajax Loading Image


Substitute Teachers Needed!

USD 422 is no different than the rest of the State of Kansas when it comes to Substitute Teachers, we are in desperate need of more Substitutes this school year. The Kansas State Board of Education took steps on Wednesday, January 12, 2022 to try to help all of the schools in Kansas to find more Substitute Teachers. The information below is from a Press Release from the Kansas State Board of Education about changes to the Substitute Teacher program for the remainder of the school year. If interested in participating in this program, please contact Superintendent of Schools Mark Clodfelter. He can be reached my email at mclodfelter@usd422.org, or by phone at (620) 723-2145.

The Kansas State Board of Education on Wednesday, January 12, 2022, unanimously approved an emergency declaration that allows any individual meeting certain qualifications to apply for a Temporary Emergency Authorized License (TEAL).

This action will help solve the substitute teacher shortage caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Any TEAL obtained through the emergency declaration will expire June 1, 2022. After that date, individuals will have to meet the more rigorous requirements for a substitute teacher license.

Usually there is a minimum requirement of 60 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university in order to obtain an emergency substitute license. The emergency declaration removes this minimum requirement for the TEAL. However, candidates must:

  • Meet the minimum age requirement of 18.
  • Have a high school diploma. Individuals with a general education development (GED) diploma/certificate are not eligible.
  • Have a verified employment commitment from a district system.
  • Be finger printed and pass a background check.
  • Submit a completed application to KSDE.

Because a verified employment commitment from a district or system is required, interested applicants should reach out to their local school district or private school to complete an application.